Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Week 1 Story - The Hardest Time of My Life

An Image of a Struggling Student Her Campus

A was the grade,
that I wanted in the course,
B was Billy,
the kid that never showed up to the lectures,
C was the Class,
that always happened on every day of the week,
D was the Dean,
that made sure that the course was impossible to pass,
E was the Effort,
that I always put into the class to do my best,
F was the Failure,
that I would not be able to accept,
G was the Grades,
that would determine the outcome of the letter score,
H was the Holiday,
in the middle of the semester,
I was the Impact,
that this grade would have on my life,
J was the Jokester,
that sat in the back of the classroom,
K was the Kids,
that cried after the first exam,
L was the Letter,
that I needed to be an A,
M was the Music,
that I listened to while I studied,
N was the Nights,
that I did not get any sleep at all,
O was the Obsession,
that was driving me to do my best,
P was the Parties,
that I had to skip to not fall behind,
Q was the Quiet,
that I needed to hear while I tested,
R was the Retest,
that could make the difference in my grade,
S was the Studying,
that drove me crazy all year long,
T was the Test,
that I managed to do the best in the class on,
U was the Uneasiness,
that I experienced throughout the whole semester,
V was the Vision,
that I had to be the best,
W was the Wisdom,
that I obtained from the semester long course,
X was the Xylitol,
that kept me going on the long nights,
Y was the Yield,
that the end of the semester held,
Z was the Zero,
that I got on the final exam,

And that was how I failed 1st grade.

Author's Note. The original story goes through the alphabet where every sentence starts with the next letter in the alphabet all the way from a to z. I took the idea of the story formatting and turned it into a story about a specific topic. The topic was a class that was taken in school.

Bibliography. "A was an archer" from The Nursery Rhyme Book by Andrew Lang. Web Source.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Ryan, I really like the creativity in your story. I have never heard of the Nursery Rhyme from which your story was interpreted but as I read through your story I found it to be extremely relatable, as I’m sure any student probably would. I’m sure this must have taken some thought to find each letter relating back your theme and I think the end result turned out to be great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool and unique story! This portrayed a lot of the same feelings I have about school, so you are not alone. This is the first time I have seen a story or nursery rhyme set up in this fashion. I was curious what you were going to write for the letter "x" and got a nice laugh when I got to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting format! I have not seen anything like this in this class so far! I guess it is a type of poetry? Dang! I thought they were going to do so well because they seemed so dedicated, I can't believe they ended up failing their exam! Did this take you a while to write? It'd probably take me forever.

    ReplyDelete