Sunday, January 22, 2017

Time Strategies for Ryan McElyea

Steps for Effective Time Management. Source: Wanderlust Worker

Time management is something that I believe needs to be solidified to be successful. I am also in an Engineering Leadership and Management course this semester and essentially the key to being able to manage others is to be able to manage yourself first. Some of the articles we have read in the class so far regard managing your energy since you cannot extend the hours in the day. This is done by focusing on tasks for 90-120 minutes and then taking a short break instead of having distractions while working. This method can save up to 25% of wasted time. One thing that usually gets me focused is having a reward or something for when I finish a task. For example, once I finish my homework I can play this video game or something similar. The article that I enjoyed was "How to Beat Procrastination" by the Harvard Business Review found here. This semester is my last semester and I am already starting to feel the "senioritis" kick in. I believe it is just going to be important for me to be on top of all my tasks with everything else going on such as my capstone project and job search.

1 comment:

  1. I may be one of the world's worst procrastinators. LOL I have a hard time keeping number 2 and number 3 (from the image above) straight. I think because something is urgent, it needs to be a top priority- but unless it holds significance, I need to be putting it lower on the to-do list. I am constantly reprioritizing activities throughout my day and sometimes I get too busy with things that don't matter. I need to step-up my time management skills before graduating in May haha

    ReplyDelete