Thursday, January 19, 2017

Ryan McElyea's Reading Options

Crossing the River. Pahari Paintings.
Source: Pinterest

I am planning to read the Public Domain Edition of Ramayana in week 2. The main deciding factors were that I wanted some of the old language style present to get kind of an idea of the actual stories as they were meant to be read. I also did like that there was the online PDF version of this where I could read it in the comfort of my home. In addition, there is the audio version from Laura Gibbs’ Soundcloud links that is incredibly helpful to hear you pronunciate some of the words that I would completely butcher. I chose the image that I did because I felt like I have seen it somewhere on the internet before and a simple “Indian Art” search on Pinterest showed it about 20 images down in the list. The image just seems almost what I expect from the culture and it is interesting to look at and kind of observe what is going on.


My background about both epic literature and Indian culture is very limited. The only background in epic literature would be The Odyssey from Homer. This is a book that we studied quite a bit in high school English class and it was definitely something that I did enjoy. I have never taken a specific course in mythology but I do know some of the Greek and Roman mythology and some of it kind of ties into astronomy, which is what I have an interest in. At my apartment, here in Norman, I live with three Asians so I would say we have somewhat of an Asian home but by no means would I say it is a traditional heritage living space. I have never been to India but I remember always being fascinated by the Taj Mahal and it seemed like I always did my project in high school on that topic. I just love the beauty of the structure itself and kind of the story behind it. Images make it almost look fake because of how pristine it appears.

No comments:

Post a Comment