Sunday, January 22, 2017

Ryan McElyea's Growth Mindset

Clear differences between a fixed mindset and growth mindset.
 Source: Growth Hackers

I have never heard of Carol Dweck before until this class but I seemed to completely agree with the videos posted on the website. For myself, I have always continued to strive for always wanting to improve. Of course it is disappointing when you put a lot of time and effort into something and it is not perceived the way that you imagined it would. I will be graduating this May with a degree in engineering and I realize that I will need to constantly have the capability to learn. The world around us is constantly changing and if I am not able to adapt then I feel like I would fail. I think it is also important being able to make connections among different topics or areas of expertise to continue improving your knowledge. A lot of what I have learned about being able to adapt and grow have been gained through my Engineering Leadership class, Engineering Professional Development class, and through my two internships. I am interested in learning more about the growth mindset and the mind itself. I am actually also enrolled in a psychology class this semester so I am looking forward to that as well. I feel as if I already have a lot of the skills required to continuously grow and be successful but they can always be improved. I plan on being proactive this semester to continue growth on my mindset.

3 comments:

  1. It is great that you have so much experience through your internships as well as the many classes that you have taken! I am also a part of the science major and therefore, I understand the feeling that you always have to learn something new because science is improving everyday in our lives! It is tough, but you end up gaining many knowledge and learn many new things. Therefore, I think this really contribute to the development of the growth mindset.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same way! I also had never heard of Carol Dweck, but I really like her stuff. When thinking about these two different mindsets, it's easy become satisfied with meeting somewhere in the middle of these two. I know for me that I get frustrated when I can't figure something out. Half of the time, it makes me more determined and I push through until I figure it out. But the other half, I give up and reach out to someone else who I know knows how to fix whatever my problem is. I feel like I have a positive attitude about most things, which prevents me from getting too upset about frustrating things, but there is definitely room for improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like having a growth mindset is something you have to constantly focus on. It you let yourself get lazy and settle, you’ll forget to go the extra mile and push yourself to keep learning. I am also an engineering major and I completely agree that we have to have the ability to continually learn new processes and expect things to change. I enjoyed reading your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete