Thursday, March 23, 2017

Week 9 Storytelling: The Link

The Link

Kunti. Source

Kunti, the wife of Pandu, took charge of the palace and offered hospitality to visitors. One day, there was a sage named Durvasa that visited her and as always, Kunti offered her hospitality. Durvasa felt as if Kunti’s services were beyond his expectations and gave her a Mantra. The way that the Mantra worked was simple. Durvasa said, “Whichever god you think of while chanting this Mantra will appear in front of you in human form and practically be your slave. In the morning, the god will leave and place a son of himself in your womb.”

Kunti could feel that power of the Mantra within herself but for some reason she was skeptical. She tested the Mantra one day while thinking of the sun god, but she did not expect anything to actually happen. She was shocked when the sun god actually appeared. She said, “I did not want you to actually show up! I was just testing the Mantra given to me by sage Durvasa.” The sun god simply said that he could leave. Kunti refused and wanted the sun god to stay. By the morning, the sun god left Kunti with a child that had earrings and armor on. Kunti did not know what to do with the child, so she simply put him in a basket and sent him floating down the river. This child was the famous Karna.

The sun god appearing after Kunti's Mantra. Source

Throughout the next few weeks, Kunti did similar practices to get herself and her husband a family since they could not naturally have children. She had Yudhistir born by Yama, Arjuna born by Indra, Bheema born by Vayu, and finally Nakula and Shahadeva born by the Ashwins. The reason that two were born to the Ashwins was simply because they are divine twin horsemen and each brother left a child. This family ended up becoming the famous group of brothers known as the Pandavas.

She had promised to herself and her husband that she would no longer use the Mantra to bear children because it seemed completely unfair to others who could not have children on their own. After the passing of Pandu, Kunti had a random thought. “I have only ever called upon gods with the Mantra, but what if I called down a goddess,” she thought.

Thinking of who she should summon in front of her, or if she should even do it at all, her palace was robbed and she felt somewhat helpless herself. She decided to call upon the goddess, Durga. Durga is the warrior goddess that battles evil and demonic forces. She is a fearless goddess that carries weapons into battle while riding on a lion or tiger.

Kunti decided on Durga because if a child was born, she believed the child could help defend the palace. When Durga appeared, neither of the two really knew what would happen. In the morning, as usual, the goddess disappeared. Kunti could hear a baby crying but there was not a baby to be seen. The odd thing was that the baby crying was not a boy; it was a girl.

Durga, the warrior goddess. Source

Kunti fainted. While she was on the ground and slowly losing life, she had visions in her head that the baby was sent somewhere else. It appeared like a completely different time and place. There were skyscrapers and cars, something she did not recognize at all. At the end of her vision, and the end of her life, she saw a baby girl crying in a woven basket at the doorstep of a house in a metropolitan. This crying baby is known as Wonder Woman. 

Baby Wonder Woman. Source

Author’s Note:

This story is a prequel to my Week 3 Story: The Meeting.

The reason that I wanted to write this prequel was to give a reason that the Hindu stories are somehow linked to Wonder Woman. In the original story, The Meeting, Rama was transported through a portal into a metropolitan. He ultimately met Wonder Woman and fought enemies together. I did not feel that it really made too much sense with Rama just randomly being sent to Wonder Woman, so I wanted to create a link between the two settings.

This story is based off the story of Kunti and her Mantra. She was given the Mantra by the sage, Durvasa. Anytime that the Mantra was used, a human form of the god she was thinking about would appear in front of her. In the story, she always summoned males and that left her with a son. In this story, I had her call down Durga, who is a goddess. Since children are normally born between a male and a female there was something that went wrong with using this Mantra. A baby was born, but she was sent to a different dimension. In addition, the baby was a girl instead of a boy because Durga was a female. The baby that was sent to the different dimension was Wonder Woman and that is “The Link” between the two settings.

Pikapost. link to the website.
Mahabharata Online Films, link to the online videos

10 comments:

  1. I loved reading your story. The way she had her children was interesting as well. I could recognize where this story came from before reading your author's notes. I enjoyed how you added the part about the goddess coming down and how the baby was Wonder Woman. The part about the mantra messing up because of it being a goddess instead of a god was cool. It was a very good way to lead into another universe. Good job with your story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked that you used this story as a prequel to your other story, "The Meeting" was really cool. I think you did a really great job at being able to relate Indian epics to your new story. You can clearly see how you were trying to tie Wonder Woman to the story you read. I hope you continue to write an expansion of your stories because I am curious to see where they go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again, I think it’s awesome that you’re creating an interconnected set of stories like this, and having read “The Meeting” just makes this that much more interesting. Using Kunti’s mantra was a really interesting way to do that, too; it makes perfect sense that Wonder Woman would be the daughter of a god to have all those powers, but I never would’ve thought of using Durga to accomplish that, and I like how Wonder Woman’s Pandava “family ties”/her connection with Rama tie together the Mahabharata and Ramayana. My only suggestion is to take another look at your timeline: You mention that Kunti sent Karna away because she didn’t know what to do with him, so it seems strange that just a few weeks later, she would try the mantra again and end up keeping those new sons. But I really like the twist you’ve added to your mythology with this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. I really liked that you decided to write a prequel to your other story in your portfolio. I think it was really creative that you decided to provide a backstory to Wonder Woman through Kunti. It makes sense that she was able to create a female hero using a Goddess rather than a God as well. I would have never thought to create this story myself. I've always wondered though... how did a child just get inside her womb whenever the gods/goddess came? Like... a "seed" or what? Perhaps you can explain this if you ever choose to expand your story in regards to how these miracle children are made. I also like that you chose a really cute picture to show "baby Wonder Woman." I agree with what Jenna said about checking your timeline and matching it up between both stories. Great job on your portfolio thus far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ryan, from someone that loves superheroes I loved your story and how you linked Kunti to Wonder Woman! Wow I was shocked when Kunti asked for a goddess to come down instead of a god! Did you have to do a lot of research to figure out which goddess you wanted to come down or did you already have Durga in mind? I love that you used more than one image. That made the story even more enjoyable to read. All around I loved the story! However, I wonder if in the end paragraph when Kunti is having visions of wonder woman if she saw her use her powers? If that would make Kunti understand the power of the child more? I didn’t understand that she was sent to a different dimension until I read your author’s note. I thought you were talking about a previous life of Wonder Woman. Maybe describe that a little more in the end of your story. Great story, you are a very creative writer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ryan, I really enjoyed your story and it flowed very smoothly. By letting the reader know about the mantra that she can have a child with pretty much any god allows the reader to be caught up quick with whats going on. At this point in the class everyone should know how Kunti had all her children but I know the first time I read about it it didn't make sense. So maybe you cleared up some questions other students might have had about that part of the mahabharata. I read your original story way back when you first wrote it and I loved it. By making Kunti her mother and using some super natural power that the child was transported to the future fits with the craziness of the original story and makes sense. However for people reading this story first it could be a bit confusing. Maybe use a little more detail to better explain what exactly is happening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I liked reading this story. My favorite part was all the images you included in the story. This made it easier to picture was what happening for me. I also really liked how you explained who everyone was in detail. However, I was a bit lost here and there. I feel like you could add in a bit more explanation of the background of some of your characters, or even explain more about Mantra. This can easily be fixed with some more explanation within the story. Another thing that really caught my attention was the concept of Wonder Woman. I thought this was very unique and different. I truly enjoyed your work, and this story stood out to me from others in how unique it was! I think it was very intricate and had enough detail to captivate your readers. I look forward to reading more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I really enjoyed reading your story. The picture of wonder woman is very cute. Not exactly what I picture, but cute nonetheless. I love it when superheroes are incorporated into the stories we read in class. It makes them so much more interesting for me personally. I like how you expanded on a story you already posted. I have not read it, but I feel like this prequel does a good job for me to understand the plot. It was good how you expanded on how Rama and Wonder woman met. I like how you noticed a flaw in your plot and fixed it in a later story. I think you could possibly make a trilogy with this story line if you have not already thought of that. I think it would be cool to somehow continue this. It is a very interesting way of incorporating Rama's story into a modern feeling. Overall it was a nice read, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ryan,
    I really liked this story of yours! I love the wonder woman photo you added in, it made me laugh. We are all familiar with wonder woman, so it was smart of you to make that connection, I think that helps the reader stay interested! I like how you are building off your other stories... I never know how to do that so I always start fresh- I think it's really cool when people can keep writing off of what they have and you do a great job of it here. It's even more impressive that you made this a prequel to the other one!! You are very creative. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ryan! I really enjoyed this addition to your portfolio. The imagination and creativity to mix such a well known story with these stories was great. Most people are very familiar with Wonder Woman so the connection is already there. I really enjoyed all of the descriptive details in this part, " While she was on the ground and slowly losing life, she had visions in her head that the baby was sent somewhere else. It appeared like a completely different time and place. There were skyscrapers and cars, something she did not recognize at all. At the end of her vision, and the end of her life, she saw a baby girl crying in a woven basket at the doorstep of a house in a metropolitan. This crying baby is known as Wonder Woman." It really paints a picture for the reader and brings them into the story. Great job!

    ReplyDelete