Thursday, February 9, 2017

Week 4 Story Planning: The Divine Archer

An example of a "group" at work. LinkedIn

For this story I was thinking of using the two sides (Rama and Ravana) and put them both in a modern setting like at a university or working in industry. Maybe Rama is working on one product and Ravana is working on another and they are competing to impress the girl (Sita). For the story planning this week, I essentially took my reading notes and kept the relevant notes and discuss how they can be transformed to fit the story. The ideas are in parenthesis. This story might completely change but it is what I thought could be a possible approach.
  • There were four sons that were born: Rama, Lakshmana, Bharata, and Shatrughna (Maybe say Rama's 3 brothers are his friends instead of brothers)
  • Rama is the god Vishnu in human form (Rama is the cool kid)
  • Sita and Rama fall in love (Sita likes Rama because he is the cool kid)
  • Sita is also a goddess that is in human form (Sita is just some pretty girl)
  • Agastya gives Rama weapons that will help him in later battles (Rama gets to work on the interesting project or something)
  • Ravana has 10 heads and 20 arms (Ravana can be the weird kid)
  • Vibhisnaha is Ravana's brother however he is on Rama's side (Vibhisnaha wants to be on Rama's side since Ravana is the weirdo)
  • Sita refuses Ravana constantly (Sita thinks she is too cool to talk to Ravana)
  • Ravana sentences Hanuman to death (Ravana makes one of the cool kids with Rama disappear)
  • The fire ends up setting Lanka on fire (Indicates the start of a competition or something)
  • Kumbhakarna, Ravana's GIANT brother, wants Ravana to give Sita back to Rama
  • Both sides get ready to fight (Maybe the two groups on working on different projects or capstone topics and Ravana tries to sabotage Rama)
  • Rama shoots off Ravana's crown when he arrives (Rama is being a jerk to Ravana)
  • The battle lasts all day
  • Rama slays Ravana (I'm not sure if I want Ravana or Rama to be victorious)

The Divine Archer by F. J. Gould. link to website.

3 comments:

  1. These are some great ideas for your next story post. I like that you took the characters of the Ramayana and put them in a modern day setting. I like to do the same thing with a lot of my stories. It is interesting that you thought of using an office setting because all of the gods in the story will have to adopt very ordinary characteristics! It should be really interesting to read and I am excited to come back to your blog and see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ryan, I think this is a great start for a good story. You have some really good ideas going on. I like the idea of it being in an office setting. The image you used for it, really caught my eye! I am glad I got to see how you did your story planning post because I haven’t done one yet and really didn’t know how to go about doing one. Good luck on your story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Retellings that take traditional stories and update them to modern settings are always my favorite, so I’m definitely a fan of the concept you’ve got here. The idea of them working on a school project or in an office not only freshens up the frame of the story, but also sounds like it has the potential to be a ton of fun to read (and write), plus really funny. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete